Search the Website
Historical Crests: Arsenal FC
Founded: 1886 Stadium: Emirates Stadium (London), Capacity: 60,704
Founded by workers from an armaments factory, Arsenal was the first club in London to turn professional in 1897. It was the first club from the South of England to join The Football League in 1893 and they reached the First Division in 1904. The club has had some wonderful periods, dominating England in the 1930s under Herbert “The Great Innovator” Chapman. In the 1930s, Arsenal won five League Championships and two FA Cups, In 1970-71, they won their first League and FA Cup Double. The greatest successes, however, came since the arrival of the French coach Arsène Wenger, in 1996. Between 1989 and 2005, they won five League titles and five FA Cups, including two more Doubles. Unveiled in 1888, Royal Arsenal’s first crest featured three cannons viewed from above, pointing northwards, similar to the coat of Arms of the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich. This was dropped after the move to Highbury in 1913, only to be reinstated in 1922, when the club adopted a crest featuring a single cannon, pointing eastwards, with the club’s nickname, The Gunners, inscribed alongside it; In 1949, the club unveiled a modernised crest featuring the same style of cannon below the club’s name, set in blackletter and above the coat of arms of the Metropolitan Borough of Islington and a scroll inscribed with the club’s newly adopted Latin motto, Victoria Concordia Crescit – “victory comes from harmony”. in 2002 they introduced a new crest featuring more modern curved lines and a simplified style, which was copyrightable. The cannon once again faces east. In the 2011–12 season, Arsenal celebrated their 125th anniversary. The celebrations included a modified version of the current crest worn on their jerseys for the season.