Search the Website
Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
Founded: 1877 Stadium: Molinieux Stadium, Capacity: 32,050
A founding member of the Football League, the club had their golden age in the 1950s, winning the first division league title three times. The press nicknamed them “Champion of the World” due to their wins over several European and international clubs at that time. Wolves have won the FA Cup four times, most recently in 1960. Wolves have long-standing rivalries with other West Midlands clubs, main one being West Bromwich Albion, against whom they contest the Black Country derby, although the two clubs have not met since 2011-12, the last time they competed in the same division. The first Wolves crest was the coat of arms of Wolverhampton City council. In the late 1960s Wolves introduced their own club badge that appeared on their shirts consisting of a single leaping wolf, which late become three leaping wolves in the mid-1970s. Since 1979 the badge has consisted of a single “wolf head” design; the current badge was redesigned in 2002.
West Ham United FC
Founded: 1895 Stadium: London Stadium (London), Capacity: 60,000
Founded originally by workers from a shipyard and ironworks on the Thames. They moved to the Boleyn Ground in 1904, which remained their home ground until 2016, when they moved to the London Stadium. West Ham have been winners of the FA Cup three times: 1964, 1975 and 1980. The club have reached two major European finals, winning the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1965 and finishing runners-up in the same competition in 1976. Their supporters are famous for their rendition of “I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles”. In their crest, the principal element of the badge is the crossed pair of rivet hammers, tools that were used in the shipbuilding industry. A yellow or white tower was added from the 1950s onwards. The primary reason for this seems to represent Anne Boleyn’s Tower which stood next to Boleyn Ground until demolished in 1955. A new badge was introduced following the end of the 2015-16 season, when the club moved into the Olympic Stadium. It removes the Boleyn Castle due to the club moving away, leaving just the crossed hammers. The shape of the crest is that of the hull of HMS Warrior, the first warship in the Royal Navy, which was built by Thames Ironworks.
Founded: 1881 Stadium: Vicarage Road (Watford), Capacity: 22,200
Watford are famous for having been owned by the singer Elton John, who was also chairman for twenty-five years, starting in 1976 and taking the club from the fourth to the first division under manager Graham Taylor. Watford finished second in the First Division in 1982-1983 and reached the FA Cup Final in 1984 which they unfortunately lost against Everton FC. The club’s nickname “The Hornets” was chosen in 1959 and in 1974 the club introduced a crest depicting hornet. In 1978 the hornet crest was replaced by a depiction of a hart (a male red fallow deer) on a yellow and black background. A hart represents the town’s location in the county of Hertfordshire.