St. Andrew’s is located in the Bordesley district of Birmingham, England and has been the home ground of Birmingham City FC since 1906. Constructed and opened in 1906 to replace Muntz Street ground, which had become too small to meet the club’s needs, the original St. Andrew’s could hold an estimated 75,000 spectators, housed in one grandstand and a large uncovered terrace. During the Second World War, St. Andrew’s suffered bomb damage and the grandstand, housing a temporary fire station, burned down in an accidental fire. In the 1950s, the club replaced the stand and installed floodlights, and later erected a second small stand and roofed over the open terraces. When new owners took the club out of administration in 1993, they began a six-year redevelopment program during which the ground was converted to an all-seater stadium with a capacity of 29,409.
Location: Bordersley, Birmingham, England
Public transport: Bordersley Station. Bordersley Station is a 15mins walk away from the stadium. Moor Street Railway Station. Moor Street Railway Station is a 30mins walk away from the stadium.
Muntz Street is the popular name of a former association stadium situated in the Small Heath district of Birmingham, taken from the street on which it stood. During its lifetime the ground was known as Coventry Road. It was the ground at which Birmingham City (under the club’s former names of Small Heath Alliance, Small Heath and Birmingham) played its home games for nearly 30 years from 1877 to 1906.
Location: Small Heath, Birmingham, England