Borussia-Park is located in Mönchengladbach, North-Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is the home ground of Borussia Mönchengladbach since 2004 when it replaced the smaller Bökelbergstadion, which no longer satisfied modern safety standards and international requirements, in July 2004. Despite its large capacity and relative modernity, the stadium missed out on holding matches during the 2006 World Cup, which Germany hosted. It was the largest capacity Bundesliga stadium not to host World Cup matches. It was again not selected as a venue for Germany’s first bid as a united nation for the UEFA flagship event EURO 2024. With an average occupancy rate of 95.1% it is one of the most frequently visited football stadiums in Europe. This is despite the relatively small size of the city of Mönchengladbach.
Location: Hennes-Weisweiler-Allee 1, Mönchengladbach, Germany
Public Transport: Rheydt Hauptbahnhof and Mönchengladbach Hauptbahnhof. On home match days, the shuttle buses run from Rheydt main station and Mönchengladbach main station to BORUSSIA-PARK every five minutes, starting three hours before kick-off. The return journeys go to the two main train stations in Mönchengladbach and Rheydt and end two hours after the end of the game.
Capacity: 54,057 (League Matches), 46,249 (International Matches)
Bökelbergstadion was the home of Borussia Mönchengladbach from 1919 until 2004. The stadium had a capacity of up to 34,500 people. The inauguration took place on 20 September 1919 under the name “Westdeutsches Stadion”. The site’s nickname then, was “de Kull” (the gravel-pit). The name “Bökelbergstadion” was established on 28 July 1962, after Borussia Mönchengladbach won theDFB-pokal for the first time. The stadium was demolished in August 2006. The terraces of the former north and south curve as well as those of the main grandstand have been preserved and are now integrated into the surrounding residential area as a public green space. The former stadium structure is still clearly visible. On 2 December 2019 a memorial of the Bökelberg was unveiled on site.