Cardiff City FC

The Bluebirds

Founded: 1899, Stadium: Cardiff City Stadium, Capacity: 33,316

Founded in 1899 as Riverside AFC, the club changed its name to Cardiff City in 1908. The team have spent 17 seasons in the top tier of English football since, the longest period between 1921 and 1929, Their most recent season in the topflight was the 2018-19 Premier League season. They are the only non-English club to have won the FA-cup (in 1927). This former club of John Toshack is the most successful in the history of Welsh football. The Bluebirds first permanent ground was Ninian Park opened in 1910; it remained in use for 99 years until the club moved into the Cardiff City Stadium in 2009. Cardiff have long-standing rivalries with nearby clubs Swansea City with whom they play the South Wales derby. The play another derby against Bristol City FC, known as the Severnside derby. In 1959 the first crest appeared on their shirts featuring an image of a bluebird. A new crest was introduced in 1969. Variations of this crest have been used over the years. In 1980s, extra features including words and motifs were added. A major change was made in 2012, when owner Vincent Tan attempted to rebrand the club to expand its appeal outside Wales. This change gave large prominence to the Welsh Dragon, reducing the bluebird to a minor feature. In March 2015, Cardiff announced a new crest which would once again feature the Bluebird predominantly with a Chinese dragon replacing the standard Welsh dragon.

Back to Historical Football Crests Main Page