Founded: 1914, Stadium: Stadio San Vito-Gigi Marulla, Capacity: 20,987
The club was founded on 18 November 1912 as “Società Sportiva Fortitudo” (the year 1914 is a reference to the first historic match played by the club on 23 February 1914). In 2003, Cosenza 1914 was expelled from professional league. In 2003 an illegitimate phoenix club was found as AS Cosenza FC. In 2004, old Cosenza won the appeal and was admitted to 2004-05 Serie D. In 2005 new Cosenza switched its denomination into AS Cosenza Calcio, after the fall of old Cosenza. In 2007, A.S. Cosenza Calcio gave up its Serie D membership, but all the team players later joined new club Fortitude Cosenza, born as relocation of Rende Calcio, a team from the neighbouring city of Rende which was relegated to Serie D in 2006-07 season and moved to Cosenza soon after. At the end of the 2010-11 the team was then excluded from professional Championship. In mid-2011 the club was refounded as Nuova Cosenza Calcio and restarted from Serie D. The team’s official colours are red and dark blue. The Calabrian club is known for its number one fan, Franciscan monk Padre Fedele Bisceglia. He was president of the club in 2004. He was struck off by the church because of his links to “ultra” fan organizations.