Huddersfield Town AFC

The Terriers

Founded: 1908, Stadium: John Smith’s Stadium (Kirklees Stadium), Capacity: 24,121

Huddersfield Town AFC from West Yorkshire became the first English club to win three successive English League titles in 1926, a feat which only three other clubs have matched. Following relegation from the First Division in 1972, Huddersfield spent 45 years in the second, third and fourth tiers of English football, before returning to the top flight in 2017. They were relegated back to the Championship at the end of 2018-2019. Until 1994 Huddersfield AFC played its games at Leeds Road before moving to the Kirklees Stadium, which is currently named John Smith’s stadium. Leeds United AFC are considered to be the club’s main rivals. Huddersfield’s other fierce local rivals are Bradford City. The club badge is based on the coat of arms of Huddersfield. In 2000, Huddersfield Town changed its badge to a circular design, which was never popular. In 2002 they returned to the heraldic-style badge. The badge was further developed with a small but significant adaption in February 2005. The club took the decision to remove “A.F.C.” from the text leaving only the wording “Huddersfield Town”.
1966-1969, 1975-1977

Back to Historical Crests Main Page