Norwich City FC

The Canaries

Founded: 1902, Stadium: Carrow Road, Capacity: 27,244

Founded in 1902, Norwich City FC since 1935 have played their home games at Carrow Road. The club has a long-standing and fierce rivalry with East Anglian rivals Ipswich Town with whom they contest the “Old Farm Derby”. The fans’ song “On the Ball, City” is the oldest football chant in the world, written in 1890 and still sung today. Norwich have won the League Cup twice, in 1962 and 1985. The club’s highest ever league finish came in 1992-1993 when it finished in the top flight. Norwich City’s nickname, “The Canaries” (after the history of breeding birds in the area), has long influenced the team’s colours and crest. A simple canary badge was first adopted in 1922. The current club badge consists of a canary resting on a football with a stylised version of the City of Norwich arms in the top left corner. For the club’s centenary celebrations in 2002, a special crest was designed. It featured two canaries looking left and right, and a ribbon noting the centenary
1920s
1940s-1971

1972-Present
2002 Centenary

Back to Historical Crests Main Page