Nottingham Forest FC


Founded: 1865, Stadium: City Ground Capacity: 30,446

Founded in 1865, Forest are now considered the oldest football clubclub in England after the relegation of Notts County to the in 2019. Since 1898 Forest have played their home matches at the City Ground. Their most successful period was under the management of Brian Clough. He arrived in 1975. Forest were then in the second division , but they moved up to the first division in 1977, before becoming league champions the following season, then European champions in 1979. In 1980 Forest successfully defended their European title, becoming the only club to have been national league champions once and European champions twice. One of the surprises of Brian Clough was the hiring of Trevor Francis who was loaned to Detroit Express by Birmingham City. Francis was bought by Clough in February 1979 for a million pounds, a record in England at the time. A few months later, Francis scored the winning goal in the final of the European Cup. Forest contest the Nottingham derby with city rivals Notts County, however as Forest have predominantly played in higher leagues than their neighbours fixtures between the two clubs have been rare in recent history. As such their main rivalry is with Derby County and matches between the two clubs are known as the East Midlands Derby. The first club crest used by Forest was the city arms of Nottingham, which was first used on kits in 1947.The current club badge was introduced in 1974. The logo has been reported as being the brainchild of manager Brian Clough. However, he did not arrive at the club until the year after. Forest have two stars above the club badge to commemorate the European Cup victories in 1979 and 1980. There was a competition, announced in March 1973, to design a new Forest badge, and the winning design was by Trent Polytechnic graphic design lecturer David Lewis. To maintain anonymity, David Lewis entered his design using his mother’s maiden name. The reason being that one of the five judges was his head of department, Mr. W. Payne, the Associate Head of the Graphics Department.

Back to Historical Crests Main Page