Founded: 1871, Stadium: Madejski Stadium, Capacity: 24,161
Reading are nicknamed The Royals due to their location in the Royal Country of Berkshire. In the past they were known last The Biscuitmen, due to the town’s association with Huntley and Palmers. Established in 1871, they are one of the oldest teams in England, but they did not join The Football league until 1920, playing their first top tier in the season 2006-2007. The club played at Elm Park for 102 years between 1896 and 1998 before they moved to the new Madejski Stadium, which is named after the club’s former chairman Sir John Madejski. The club is memorable for their “Player of the Millennium” in 1999: Robin Friday, a forward playing for Reading In the 1970s. Before going out of business in 1992, Aldershot Town were Reading’s biggest rivals. Today Reading’s main rivals are Oxford United and Swindon Town. The first crest to appear on a Reading kit was in 1953, it featured just the letter “R”. There was no crest seen again until 1981 when there was a crest featuring three elm trees and the rivers Thames and Kennet, this only lasted two seasons. From 1987–96 the crest used the new kit colours of yellow, sky blue, royal blue and white. The current crest was first seen on the kits for the 1998-99 It is based on the club colours—blue and white—and includes a crown to represent the Royal County of Berkshire and the Maiwand Lion to represent Reading.
Back to Historical Crests Main Page