Founded:1885, Stadium: St. Mary’s Stadium, Capacity: 32,384
Southampton FC was based at The Dell before they moved to their new home ground St Mary’s Stadium in 2001. The club has been nicknamed “The Saints” since its inception in 1885 due to its history as a church football team, founded as St. Mary’s Church of England Young Men’s Association. Southampton has a long-standing rivalry with Portsmouth due to its proximity and both cities’ maritime history. Matches between the two sides are known as the South Coast derby. Southampton FC won the FA Cup in 1975-76. Originally, the club used the same crest as the one used by the city itself. From top-to-bottom, the halo is a reference to the nickname “Saints”, the ball to the nature of the club, the scarf to the fans and the team colours. The tree represents the nearby New Forest and Southampton Common, with the water representing Southampton’s connections with the rivers, seas and oceans. Below that is a white rose (the symbol to the city). In the mid-1990s the ball was changed form a vintage style ball to the current ball.