Founded: 1920, Stadium: Mapei Stadium – Città del Tricolore, Capacity: 21,584
The club was founded in 1920 and played in the Emilian amateur divisions for most of its history until its first promotion to Serie D in 1968. In this era, the club merged with other local football teams to eventually form the current US Sassuolo Calcio in 1974. Sassuolo’s famous green kit originates from a donation from English side Lancaster Rovers FC. During a tour of Italy in 1921, the Rover’s side were unable to fulfil a fixture with Sassuolo and as a way of apology, donated their green shirts for Sassuolo to keep. US Sassuolo Rivals are Carpi, Modena and Reggiana 1919. The current crest features a shield divided into four fields. The most unusual of them is probably the top left one, with two flowers behind three vertical bars. In fact, the design was borrowed from the coat of arms of the team’s home city, Sassuolo. Both the top right and the bottom fields sport the same pattern – black and green stripes. The stripes vary by size – those on the top are smaller. The pattern has been extensively used as part of the club’s brand identity throughout its long history. Between the two large black stripes on the bottom field, a football can be seen. The text “U.S. Sassuolo” in white is placed in a banner in the middle of the shield.