Wigan Athletic FC
Founded: 1932, Stadium: DW Stadium, Capacity: 25,138
Founded in 1932, the club have played at the DW Stadium since 1999, before which they played at Springfield Park. Wigan won the FA Cup in 2013. Since Wigan Athletic’s admission to the Football League in 1978, the club has built up several rivalries, mainly with Bolton Wanderers, the club’s primary derby match. Wigan also have the local rivalries with Preston North End, Blackburn Rovers, Oldham Athletic, Manchester City and Rochdale. One of the club’s longest and recently forgotten rivalries was with nearby Lancashire based club Chorley, although the two clubs have not played league games since 1971 when they were in the Northern Premier League. The first badge used by the club was the full arms of the County Borough Council of Wigan which were granted on the 28th April 1922. It is certainly a very privileged coat of arms, as few if any coats bear so many symbols of royal favour. Around the time Latics gained League status they started using another badge known as the “Tree and crown” badge which displays two of the elements of the first badge – the crown of fleur de lis of the Plantagenets, and the wiggin tree. The club changed in 1989 to using the arms of the Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council. For the 2008-2009 season however, their fourth in the Premier League, Latics went back to the much-loved Tree and Crown badge. Slightly sharper than previously and including more modern design elements, as well as the date of foundation of the club, 1932.