The Stadium Club, The Club of the People, The Pride of the South
Founded: 1908, Stadium: De Kuip, Capacity: 51,117
Founded as Wilhelmina in 1908, the club changed to various names before being named after its neighborhood in 1912 as SC Feijenoord, updated to in 1974 to SC Feyenoord and then to Feyenoord Rotterdam in 1978. Since 1937, Feyenoord’s home ground has been Stadion Feijenoord, nicknamed De Kuip (the tub), one of the largest stadiums in the Netherlands and Europe. Feyenoord is one of the most successful clubs in Dutch football, winning 15 Eredivisie titles, 13 KNVB Cups and 4 Johan Cruijff Shields. Internationally they were the first Dutch club to win the European Cup when their head coach was the Austrian Ernst Happel. Next to this Cup Feyenoord won two UEFA Cups and one International Cup. In 1983 the club succeeded in signing the national hero, Johan Cruijff along with future star Ruud Gullit after which the club won their first title in ten years. Feyenoord has a longstanding rivalry with their arch rival Ajax, a clash between two teams from the two biggest cities in the Netherlands, called De Klassieker (“The Classic”). Feyenoord’s fanbase is called het legion (“The Legion”) and the club’s anthem is “Hand in Hand”. While the Dutch football club Feyenoord Rotterdam has a long and illustrious history, you can’t say the same about its logotype. Although it was updated more than once, it has still stayed comparatively consistent in its core imagery, which preserved unchanged for more than 100 years.