Lesser Hampden is located in Mount Florida, Glasgow. It is the home ground of Queen’s Park FC and is located immediately beside the western end of Hampden Park stadium. For over a century the club’s home was Hampden Park in south-east Glasgow, which is also the home of the Scotland national team. In September 2018, it was announced that Queen’s Park would return to Lesser Hampden to play first team matches on a permanent basis after agreeing to sell Hampden Park itself to the Scottish FA, which had been leasing the larger ground as the base for the national team. In November 2019, the club released plans to upgrade Lesser Hampden to an SPFL-standard venue which included an extension of the existing west stand, a new east stand and associated facilities, with a seating capacity of 1,774. Work on Lesser Hampden was delayed, which meant that Queen’s Park had to groundshare at the Falkirk Stadium and Firhill after their lease on Hampden expired. The club released a revised plan in early December 2021. Within two weeks, demolition of the farmhouse and byre had commenced.
Location: Mount Florida, Glasgow, Scotland
Public Transport: The nearest railway stations are Mount Florida and King’s Park. Both stations are served by trains from Glasgow Central on the Cathcart Circle Lines.
The 51,866-capacity venue, opened in 1903, serves as the national stadium of football in Scotland. It is the normal home venue of the Scotland national football teamand was the home of club side Queen’s Park for over a century. Hampden regularly hosts the latter stages of the Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cupcompetitions and has also been used for music concerts and other sporting events, such as when it was reconfigured as an athletics and stadium for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. There were two 19th-century stadia called Hampden Park, built on different sites. A stadium on the present site was first opened on 31 October 1903. Hampden was the biggest stadium in the world when it was opened, with a capacity in excess of 100,000. This was increased further between 1927 and 1937, reaching a peak of 150,000. The record attendance of 149,415, for a Scotland v England match in 1937, is the European record for an international football match. Tighter safety regulations meant that the capacity was reduced to 81,000 in 1977. The stadium has been fully renovated since then, with the most recent work being completed in 1999.