Stadium of Light
The Stadium of Light is located in Sunderland, England, and the eight and current home to Sunderland AFC. It has a capacity of 49,000 spectators and is the ninth largest football stadium in England. It was opened in 1997. The stadium was named by chairman Bob Murray to reflect the coal mining heritage of the North East and the former Monkwearmouth Colliery site on which it stands. A Davy lamp monument stands at the entrance to reflect the coal mining industry that brought prosperity to the town. With an original capacity of 42,000, it was expanded in 2000 to seat 49,000. Its simple design is apparently to allow for redevelopments up to a capacity of 63,000.
Location: Monkwearmouth, Sunderland, England
Public Transport: Sunderland Train Station. The station is a 10-15 minutes walk away from the station.
Roker Park in Roker, Sunderland, England was the home of Sunderland AFC from 1898 to 1997, before the club moved to the Stadium of Light Its final capacity was around 22,500, with only a small part being seated; it had been much higher, attracting a record crowd of 75,118. Before the Stadium of Light and Roker Park played on 6 other grounds from 1880 to 1898: Blue House Field in Hendon, The Cedars and Groves Field in Ashbrooke, Horatio Street in Roker, Abbs Field in Fulwell and Newcastle Road in Monkwearmouth.
Location: Sunderland, England